Friday 17 October 2014

are games good art? No

  • well games are art, what else can they be
    4:31 PM
  • I think so too
    4:32 PM
  • but I think they are predominantly entertainment
    4:32 PM
  • yeah. does that bother you?
    4:32 PM


  • "art" is something of itself
    4:33 PM
  • not really
    4:33 PM
  • just when everything is "art" (games, tv, podcasts, design) then the meaning gets mired
    4:34 PM
  • I guess the "what is art?" is the wrong question
    4:35 PM
  • the question is "what is good art?"
    4:36 PM
  • and games rarely are good art
    4:36 PM
  • what do you think?
    4:36 PM
  • I totally agree with you
    4:36 PM
  • and do you have an example of a game that is good art?
    4:36 PM
  • there was an interactive piece at the Poznan Biennale that I heard about
    4:37 PM
  • I think I might have made it up though
    4:37 PM
  • haha, what's on your mind?
    4:38 PM
  • it was a piece that reacted to the volume of your voice and you read a speech
    4:38 PM
  • the louder you read the louder a sound of cheering played
    4:38 PM
  • and you couldn't help but read louder and louder and get wrapped up in the sound
    4:39 PM
  • that sounds like something, doesn't it?
    4:39 PM
  • wow, yeah, that's really interesting
    4:40 PM
  • so it kinda gets you hooked up with the cheer, and you want more.
    4:40 PM
  • I only heard about it
    4:40 PM
  • I might have made it up
    4:40 PM
  • haha, well someone should make it if you made it up
    4:40 PM
  • there is a game in one of the Saw films where you win by cutting the most parts of your body off
    4:41 PM
  • that sounds like art to me
    4:41 PM
  • haha
    4:41 PM
  • that's pretty dark
    4:41 PM
  • haha
    4:42 PM
  • but normative video games aren't good art
    4:42 PM
  • they are fantastic games
    4:42 PM
  • the best entertainment one can imagine
    4:42 PM
  • but not good art
    4:42 PM
  • what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment